Multiple accounting requests crash the server

Mother mother at netstumbler.com
Fri Jan 25 12:53:58 CET 2008

Hi all,

I am seeing a strange situation. I receive an accounting-stop request
from a NAS, and FreeRADIUS (1.1.7 against Oracle) updates the
corresponding radacct record. However, the NAS is not receiving the ack,
and thus re-sends the stop request. On the second request, FreeRADIUS
tries to do an update query again, and then, an insert query, with the
stop message details (i.e. only a stop time, reason idle-timeout, etc.),
which fails. After the third request from the NAS (and corresponding
update followed by insert), Oracle throws a unique constraint violation
error, and the server freezes.

Questions:

1. Why is FreeRADIUS failing to see that this request was already
acknowledged, i.e. it has been updated on the database, and just sends
an ACK, rather than trying to insert a new record?

2. Why does FreeRADIUS freeze on an SQL error from Oracle? Should it not
just log the error and carry on about its business? I am finding my
server freezing every few days due to these issues, for example, if a
query takes too long to run, or a trigger fails to execute. Is
FreeRADIUS against Oracle more fragile than say MySQL?

Cheers,

Mike