EAP-TLS OK - EAP-PEAP KO!! why that?

Reveal MAP revealmapp at yahoo.fr
Sat Jul 19 18:52:33 CEST 2008

Ok,

does someone find normal that EAP-TLS authentication works and not EAP-PEAP?
- it is sure, it is not a question of certificate. Alan said someday that that NAS is broken. He might be true, but maybe i missed something in the configuration, but where?

- it reminds me a question and  i don't know how to answer:

I called a SSID "TLS" where security is "WPA Enterprise". it expet users to be authenticated via FREERADIUS to be allowed on the network.
so i use a certificate, and the commonname of this certificate is "testuser01". authentication success cause certificate is valid, but i have no user called "testuser01" on user file, sql database, or AD.

so my first question is: doing EAP-TLS authentication, user is based_what? i mean, does user have to exist on a base like sql, ldap or a file, or just the certificate credentials are enough?

second: using RADIUS for authetication in a LAN means that 802.1x is used. That's what i read. Right now, i notice that 802.1x is off on all my NAS...  i forgot to set it "ON".
so why does EAP-TLS Authentication runs OK... why that? (and EAP-PEAP still not ??)

- Yes, i know it's not school here but realize that it's not easy to surround alone. thank your for your explanation and your time!