definitively, I have a problem with eap-tls

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 18:06:46 CEST 2008

> ok :) I provide certificate files and eap.conf in a tar ball to not to
> post a mail too long.
> If I print user at example.com.pem in text form I see how radius is the
> issuer of the certificate. This is the default PKI and I don't know what
> I'm doing wrong.
> Thanks for your attention.

I get the exact same error at the CLI:

[pjm3 at localhost tmp]$ openssl verify -CAfile ca.pem  < server.pem
stdin: OK

[pjm3 at localhost tmp]$ openssl verify -CAfile ca.pem  <
user\@example.com.pem
stdin: /C=FR/ST=Radius/O=Example
Inc./CN=user at example.com/emailAddress=user at example.com
error 20 at 0 depth lookup:unable to get local issuer certificate

Your certificates are invalid:

  * server.pem is signed by ca.pem, which is correct:

Issuer: C=FR, ST=Radius, L=Somewhere, O=Example
Inc./emailAddress=admin at example.com, CN=Example Certificate Authority

Subject: C=FR, ST=Radius, O=Example Inc., CN=Example Server
Certificate/emailAddress=admin at example.com

  * user.pem is signed by *server.pem* which is WRONG

Issuer: C=FR, ST=Radius, O=Example Inc., CN=Example Server
Certificate/emailAddress=admin at example.com

Subject: C=FR, ST=Radius, O=Example Inc.,
CN=user at example.com/emailAddress=user at example.com

You have signed the user cert with the server cert, which is incorrect.
You must sign the user cert with the CA cert.