freeradius crashing issue - malloc failures?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 22:10:34 CEST 2008

Ryan Pugatch wrote:
>> That being said, I'm running 1.1.7, so I suspect I'm due for an
>> upgrade, anyway.  I'm curious as to why Red Hat's repositories still
>> only have version 1.1.3, though.

Fedora (F-9) is current with the 2.0.5 release (in the testing repo).

When you say Red Hat's repositories only have 1.1.3 I presume you're
referring to RHEL 5. RHEL is an "enterprise" release and in the interest
of stability for enterprises the policy is not to update the versions of
software which originally appeared in the initial enterprise release.
Instead critical bug fixes are backported into the older version on a
case by case basis. Occasionally a component in an enterprise release
will undergo a version upgrade but this is the exception rather than the
rule. With respect to FreeRADIUS 2.x the configuration is not compatible
with the 1.1.x version adding another reason why enterprise
installations cannot be updated because manual intervention by the
administrator would be required, once again violating the "enterprise
contract". That said there has been some internal discussion about
whether to offer the 2.0.5 version in RHEL as an optional out of band
update. Contact your technical account manager (TAM) to express interest
in this.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>