PAM, ms-chap and shadow passwords

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Mon Jun 9 17:58:33 CEST 2008

I understand that radius authenticating ppp (PPTP in this case)
connections against shadow passwords requires cleartext authentication
(PAP).

Does PAM allow you to work around this?  From reading what I can find on
PAM, it would seem that FreeRADIUS would pass off the authentication
request to PAM and PAM could then take care of the crypt/decrypt, thus
allowing CHAP or MSCHAP client authentication against shadow passwords.

Is this correct?

TIA,

up at 3.am							    http://3.am