Deploying Freeradius in a HA environment

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 10:09:46 CEST 2008

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> I would have to dispute that. We've seen NASes across the range (Cisco,
>> 3Com, Extreme) fail to move to the backup/secondary radius server they've
>> got configured.
>>

> report such bugs to the manufacturers of the NAS devices and double
> check your device configs -
>  several of them have quirky ways of failing
> over. if you do want to point to a single IP etc then just standard
> L4 balancing will work
Yes, though if you're using EAP make sure that requests from a NAS
aren't spread over multiple servers.
>  - but ensure that the FR boxes are sharing
> the same information if you rely on accounting records for decisions
> (eg simultaneous usage)

If you're look for a generic solution, layer 7 load balancers are the
answer; We are considering them because NAS based fail-over schemes are
never perfect, you always have to have a few missing responses before
the NAS realises something is up and does something about it.

--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk),
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer,