high performance FR installation and unfinished requests

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jun 17 15:05:04 CEST 2008

Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> we have a FR server (version 1.1.7) on a Redhat machine. We use it for dumping
> accouting requests into a database. We have about 200 requests per second in
> average.
>
> Once in a while (1 per minute) we see a error in the log file:
> Discarding duplicate request from client ... due to unfinished  request ....

  The client hasn't received a response to the request, and is
re-sending it.  i.e. the request has taken LONGER than the client's
timeout, usually 5 seconds or so.

  That indicates a pretty significant backlog of requests at 200
packets/s.  It likely means that your system us barely keeping up with
the load.

> Does the FR server drop accouting requests?

  No.  But accounting requests should *not* be re-transmitted by the
NAS.  If the NAS does this, it often means that they don't quite follow
the RADIUS standards.

> How can we monitor how any requests the RADIUS server gets?
> Is this anything to worry?

  You probably want to double-check your database.  Tune it, optimize
it, upgrade the hardware, whatever.