Class attribute, RFC Specified usage of ...

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 01:34:02 CET 2008

> Was there an RFC that went on to define the proper usage of the Class
> attribute, or is it's usage still ambiguous ?

Ambiguous how? The RFC seems pretty specific to me; the field is NOT to
be interpreted by the NAS, is generated in the Access-Accept and sent in
Accounting-Request - i.e. "it's local to the radius server, do what you
like with it".

> I know some people use it to link accounting data to an authentication
> attempt....

That's one (common) use. There are others e.g. I've used it to signal to
the accounting server the type of NAS so that the exact method for
kicking a session is known purely from the SQL accounting info.