Calling-Station-Id problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 4 07:15:39 CET 2008

Rob wrote:
> While I am using Calling-Station-Id freeradius does not authenicate
> user. Without calling-station-id (user Rob) works Ok. Can anybody
> point me where is the problem?
> Checkval exists in radiusd.conf.

  Checkval isn't needed.  I have no idea why you would use it here.

> Freeradius 1.1.7
> user file:
> "Alan"          User-Password == "12345", Calling-Station-Id == "000d88b7c2de"

  You don't need quotes around the user name.  The examples in the
"users" file show this.  You need to use Cleartext-Password := ..., too.
 This is in the FAQ.

> "Rob"           User-Password == "123456"
> DEFAULT        Auth-Type = EAP,EAP-Type == PEAP, Proxy-To-Realm = LOCAL

  Delete that last line.  I have no idea why so many people insist on
setting Auth-Type.

  Can you please explain why you added it, and which documentation said
it was a good idea?  All of the documentation that is shipped with the
server says that you are NOT supposed to add it.

> Log from radius -X:
>  peap: copy_request_to_tunnel = no

  The Calling-Station-Id is *not* present in the tunneled request.
So... unless you set this to "yes", the entry above in the "users" file
will NOT match!

  And the debug log shows this:
>   modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns notfound for request 6

  See?  No match.

> modcall: leaving group authorize (returns updated) for request 6
>   rlm_mschap: No User-Password configured.  Cannot create LM-Password.
>   rlm_mschap: No User-Password configured.  Cannot create NT-Password.
>   rlm_mschap: Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for Alan with NT-Password
>   rlm_mschap: FAILED: No NT/LM-Password.  Cannot perform authentication.

  And then authentication fails.