802.1x, EAP and LDAP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 4 07:33:09 CET 2008

Mike Richardson wrote:
> I've been making changes for 8 hours a day for over a week so it might
> differ from the original.

  Which is a bit of a problem in and of itself.

> However I been back to the defaults twice. As of
> tomorrow I'll reinstall and try it again. From what you're saying I believe
> I need to put in the LDAP config for our eDirectory and uncomment any LDAP
> authorisation/authentication entries. Anything else?

  Not for LDAP.

> Then I can use radtest to test the authentication?

  Yes.

> How does the config know to use PAP rather than CHAP/MSCHAP?

  Because all of the experience of the developers working for years with
RADIUS is distilled into the configuration files.

> I've been through every config guide I can find on the net, several times.

  If it takes more than 10 minutes to get FreeRADIUS authenticating to
LDAP, ask a question on the list.  Honestly.  It's *so* much better to
get an answer on the list than to fight for a week...

> It's only today though that I found a site which explained the limitations
> of the PAP/CHAP/MSCHAP with respect to password encryptions.

  My deployingradius.com site?  It has a number of resources.

> Most guides
> assume MSCHAP, for use with PEAP, and most use flat file user
> authentication. Not many touch on LDAP and only Novell have eDirectory based
> documentation.

  Of course.  Only Novell understands how eDirectory works.

  For LDAP, buy the O'Reilly OpenLDAP book.  It has a good section on
getting OpenLDAP && FreeRADIUS to talk to each other.  It's very quick...