radwtmp

David WU dyw at bsdos.iohk.com
Fri Mar 7 17:21:26 CET 2008

I found that the first character of login in the logout record of each
login/logout pair missing, as illustrated by the attached file (logins and
host ips changed with an hex editor to anonymize the data).   This in
contrast to the local wtmp file.

I discovered this anomaly when I ran a perl script on radwtmp (which was
designed to be ran on wtmp and used to find hackers - strange logins not
found in the local password database).

The native 'last' command operated on radwtmp with normal results, so I
suspect 'last' uses as index the host field instead of the name field.

I am running freeradius-1.1.7 and then freeradius-2.0.1 on FreeBSD
6.3-RELEASE, with the same results.

Best Regards
David