RFC 2866 - Accounting ON / Accounting OFF packets

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 14 01:49:33 CET 2008

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> Yes, and that's the point I was making, there can be no Acct-Session-Id
> because Accounting ON / Off events are not session specific... so the
> RFC contradicts itself.

  Yes, well...

  Most NASes use an Acct-Session-Id of all zeros for Accounting On/Off
events.

>> Usually you should get an On event when the NAS powers up and RADIUS
>> starts
> They're confusing, and not that informative.

  Knowing that your NAS rebooted and kicked everyone off is useful.

 I'm wondering whether to
> just not log them at all. Our APs appear to generate them after any
> configuration change made to a BSSID or Radio. Nothing else has ever
> generated them in sufficient quantities as to cause serious problems.

  That doesn't sound like good practice.  If there are still user
sessions active on the AP over an Accounting Off/On sequence, then it's
*very* bad practice.