virtual server configuration

usawebbox at fastmail.fm usawebbox at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 19 01:39:14 CET 2008

I'm using FreeRADIUS Version 2.0.2, for host i686-suse-linux-gnu, built
on Feb 14 2008 at 15:20:55

I got back to testing allowing only PEAP-GTC on one virtual server. I
used the included self-signed certs this time, but as I suspected, the
results were the same whenever I comment out CA_file:

 Module: Instantiating eap-tls
   tls {
        rsa_key_exchange = no
        dh_key_exchange = yes
        rsa_key_length = 512
        dh_key_length = 512
        verify_depth = 0
        pem_file_type = yes
        private_key_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/server.key"
        certificate_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/server-ca.pem"
        private_key_password = "whatever"
        dh_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/dh"
        random_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/random"
        fragment_size = 1024
        include_length = yes
        check_crl = no
        cipher_list = "DEFAULT"
   }
rlm_eap: SSL error error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
rlm_eap_tls: Error reading Trusted root CA list (null)
rlm_eap: Failed to initialize type tls

I think we might be trying the wrong thing. Although the comments
together say:

    #  If CA_file (below) is not used, then the
    #  certificate_file below MUST include not
    #  only the server certificate, but ALSO all
    #  of the CA certificates used to sign the
    #  server certificate.
    certificate_file = ${certdir}/wifiserver.pem

    #  This parameter is used only for EAP-TLS,
    #  when you issue client certificates.  If you do
    #  not use client certificates, and you do not want
    #  to permit EAP-TLS authentication, then delete
    #  this configuration item.
    #CA_file = ${cadir}/wifiserver.pem

The first comment might be giving you just another place to provide your
CA cert, whereas the second comment clearly talks about not permiting
EAP-TLS. I say this, because I don't see why the CA would be required at
all if EAP-TLS will be denied. All you need is a server cert and private
key. In PEAP, the client is the one who needs the CA cert, if he wants
to verify the server cert, but even that is optional.

Anyway, can we say now that not providing a CA_file doesn't work?

If there's something else I should test, just mention it.

Thanks.

  usawebbox at fastmail.fm

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?