listen { type = detail } - Forked accounting

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Mar 20 14:25:50 CET 2008

Hi,

With eduroam, its good practice to proxy accounting packets back to the
home server. But it's also very useful to record those accounting packets.

Before I just set up the proxy in pre-acct, then listed the SQL module
in accounting, and let the accounting server sent the
accounting-reply... I never really liked this way because if the remote
accounting server was down, it would mean lots of repeat accounting packets.

What I was to do now is write out the accounting packet to two detail
files, something like acct-buffer-sql and acct-buffer-proxy.

Use one file to populate our local SQL db, and the other to deal with
proxying the accounting information back to the home server.

This would mean duplicate accounting-response packets being sent, which
isn't ideal. Is there any way to stop the server sending an accounting
response packet when it receives the reply from the home server ?

Thanks,
Arran