incorrect shared secret entry authenticates successfully forfreerradius

Michael Lecuyer mjl at theorem.com
Thu Mar 20 15:11:59 CET 2008

NTRadPing is a very bad client to test real authentication.

While it says it has an Access-Accept packet it isn't doing any proper
checking of the packet. All Access-Accept packets are signed by the
server using the shared secret. A good client will check that signature.
A packet with a bad signature is rejected by a proper client even though
the server sent an Access-Accept.

Your test and discussion are pointless because the client NTRadPing is
not telling you that the packet is invalid. It's just displaying the
packet's contents.

PAP is the only authentication method where you would get an
Access-Reject with a bad secret.