WPA_Supplicant re-authentication

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Mar 21 12:05:58 CET 2008

Hi All,

I know this isn't strictly a FreeRADIUS issue but many of the users of
the list are involved in academia and so may have come across this with
their linux users.

wpa_Supplicant appears to work fine on wireless networks, but on wired
networks it attempts to re-authenticate every 30 seconds..

I can't find the root cause for this; packet traces show no EAPOL
activity prior to re-authentication and the supplicant itself reveals
nothing in it's output or logs.

The only possible explanation I can think of, is the out-of-order
EAP-Notification packet the ProCurve NAS sends after the EAP-Success
packet. Could this confuse the supplicant into thinking the session was
ongoing, and then time out after 30 seconds and restart the
authentication process ? It certainly breaks the EAP Spec..

It anyone else experiencing this with different NAS?

Thanks,
Arran