Recommendations for manging user password

thekat thekewlcat at gmail.com
Thu May 1 22:02:29 CEST 2008

Thank you all for responding to my first post in getting FreeRadius set up
and working on a Solaris 10 box.
I am working on creating the (non-priviledged) user environment that will
run the
server.

I have successfully set up a working Radius server to work with a FirePass
VPN appliance..

FirePass uses PAP for authentication.. however I have authenticated using
both local and PAP.

<code>
"charlie"         Auth-Type := Local, User-Password == "hello"
                Reply-Message = "Hello, %u"
"charles"       Auth-Type := PAP, User-Password == "hello"
                Reply-Message = "Hello, %u"
</code>

 This works like this:
-- FirePass appliaance has a SSL login page.
-- User enters creditials -> validates against FreeRadius
-- User is shown a "static" page on the FirePass Server with a Static Link.

I will have about 75 users and need to set up password aging..
Using system (non-shell) accounts with IDs in  /etc/password could be an
option
I did read the "Expired" thread and I can write a script to update that
field if necessary..

My Goal
--- let the user know their password has expired
--- let them change it themselves..
--- age the password for 90 days
--- I really don't want a MySQL database ( I don't know MySQL but could
learn if I have to)

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction..

Charles