Run as non-privileged user

Lemaster, Rob rlemaste at covad.com
Mon May 5 06:59:48 CEST 2008

FreeRADIUS 2.0.4

Some documentation I've read recommends running FreeRADIUS as user=radius group=radius. It said that you shouldn't use "nobody" because that is reserved for a special purpose (I think it was the Hassel book).

Around line 116 of radiusd.conf, I found the option for "user/group", but the instructions say that you must be root to start the server. If I change this setting, will it prevent the server from starting?

What is the official recommended way of running FreeRADIUS as a non-root user?

Thanks for your time!