Failed to open socket

Lemaster, Rob rlemaste at covad.com
Tue May 6 06:28:55 CEST 2008

Lemaster, Rob wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 2.0.4, and now I'm seeing the following error
when I start FreeRADIUS:
> Sat May  3 20:21:39 2008 : Error: ERROR: Failed to open socket:
> Sat May  3 20:21:39 2008 : Error:
/opt/freeradius-2.0.4/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf[210]: Error binding to port
for 0.0.0.0 port 1812
> Sun May  4 01:37:24 2008 : Info: Ready to process requests.

---
DeKok:
  So it *does* eventually start.  Do you change the configuration
between the start attempts?  If not, then it's difficult to say why it
starts one time, and then not another.

  Maybe it's port re-use timers?  Or something like the FreeBSD Jail
issue?

  Is there a ktrace functionality on your system to see which system
calls it's doing, and what the results are?

--
Lemaster:
Yes, it does appear to be starting. Radius.log is no longer reporting the error, but radiusd -X still is.

>From the recommendation from Joel MBA OYONE, I made sure all other terminals were closed and there were no other radius processes running.

Radtest:
[root at localhost bin]# ./radtest bob hello localhost 0 testing123
        User-Name = "bob"
        User-Password = "hello"
        NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1
        NAS-Port = 0

Radius.log:
Mon May  5 20:04:55 2008 : Info: Ready to process requests.

Radiusd -X:
ERROR: Failed to open socket:
/opt/freeradius-2.0.4/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf[210]: Error binding to port for 0.0.0.0 port 1812

I couldn't find a ktrace in Fedora. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!