huntgroups are failing auth - missing Chap Password

Terry Pelley Terry.Pelley at ocdsb.ca
Wed May 7 21:20:54 CEST 2008

FreeRADIUS Version 1.1.7

I am using the FreeRADIUS.net Windows version of the software. at least
for the time being.

I am trying to set up a very basic single user account for a very specific
purpose and have created the account as follows.

hunttest User-Password == "hunttest", Huntgroup-Name == "hunttest"

My huntgroups file has a huntgroup called hunttest with a single NAS IP
Address listed as follows.

public	NAS-IP-Address == 10.252.9.2

when the user huntest attempts to authenticate it fails. My RADIUS Log
shows the following entry.

Wed May  7 15:07:25 2008 : Auth: Login incorrect (rlm_chap: Clear text
password not available): [hunttest/<CHAP-Password>] (from client NAS04
port 5 cli 00-1E-8C-0E-8E-70)
Wed May  7 15:07:25 2008 : Auth: Login incorrect (rlm_chap: Clear text
password not available): [hunttest/<CHAP-Password>] (from client NAS04
port 5 cli 00-1E-8C-0E-8E-70)

Can some one tell me what is wrong. I am simply trying to create a config
that will allow the user hunttest to authenticate only if the request
comes from the client NAS04. Perhaps a huntgroup is not the best way to do
this.