FreeRADIUS 2 not listening on right port

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu May 15 20:15:52 CEST 2008

Casartello, Thomas wrote:
> Compiling from source did NOT solve the problem.

  It looks like Fedora is broken.

  The server code does this:

  if (port == 0) {
    call system function to look up "radius" port in /etc/services
    if (found ) {
        port = port found in /etc/services
    } else {
       port = 1812

  The only way I can see it choosing "random" ports is if the lookup in
/etc/services returns "found", with a random port.

  I suggest hard-coding the port numbers (1812/1813) into the "listen"
sections.  Maybe also see if 'radius" and "radacct" are defined in
/etc/services.