Freeradius error: "Discarding conflicting packet"

Sergio Belkin sebelk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 18:21:47 CET 2008

2008/10/5 Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>:
> Jelle Langbroek wrote:
>> I can tell you that with my tests, I figured out that it's happening
>> with all sorts of clients (MacOSX, XP, Vista).
>
>  The supplicant's aren't involved here.  It's the NAS that retransmits
> the RADIUS packets.
>
>> It appears only to be
>> happing with the WAP54G (and now the WRT54GL you say). When I replaced
>> the WAP54G with a WAP200, the errors disappeared with the same clients.
>
>  i.e. the WAP54G is broken.  It doesn't do RADIUS properly.
>
>> I tested this on many locations with many different clients and
>> everywhere the same results. It must be the WAP54G then.
>
>  Yes.
>
>> I'm still using those AP's and I keep getting the error in the logs.
>> It's indeed quite random. The error seems not harmful (although the
>> sourcecode of freeRadius says the AP is broken).
>
>  :)  It's a common complaint on this list.  Some issues are FreeRADIUS
> bugs.  Others are broken NASes.
>
>  I'm in the process of putting together a RADIUS validation test suite,
> so that manufacturers can see if their products are compliant *before*
> shipping them.
>
>  Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

I think is worthwhile to remark that that problem exists even using
OpewnWRT on Linksys WRT54GL and not using original firmware...

Is there a way to at least to minimize those errors? I've heard some
people complains that sometimes try to reconnect and sometimes the
only solution is reboot the AP.

Thanks in advance!
Open Kairos http://www.openkairos.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com