ssh cleartext-password "? INCORRECT" (tnt at kalik.net)

David Ly dly at somanetworks.com
Wed Nov 19 16:47:36 CET 2008

And the matching shared secret for the server and pam_radius_auth.conf

> ..
>
>> Using 'ssh steve at localhost' password: testing
>>
>> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 26561, id=106,
>> length=83
>>        User-Name =
>> "steve"
>>        User-Password = "\010\n\r\177INCORRECT"             ****
>>

> ..
>
>>  WARNING: Unprintable characters in the password.        Double-check
>> the shared secret on the server and the NAS!
>>

> Obviously, shared secrets don't match.
>
> Ivan Kalik
> Kalik Informatika ISP

I don't that this the case, heres why,

radiusd -X produces
..
home_server localhost {
ipaddr=127.0.0.1
port = 1812
type = "auth"
* *secret = "testing123"
response_window = 20
max_outstanding = 65536
zombie_period = 40
status_check = "status-server"
ping_interval = 30
check_interval = 30
num_answers_to_alive = 3
num_pings_to_alive = 3
revive_interval = 120
status_check_timeout = 4
}
..
and here is my /etc/pam_radius_auth.conf (i've tried space / tab delimited )
# server[:port] shared_secret timeout (s)
127.0.0.1 testing123 2
localhost testing123 1

So they are identical from what i can see. Also keep in
mind that radtest works using the secret; "testing123".
Sorry if I'm missing the point. Thanks for your help so far.

David Ly
-Soma Networks