MAC based auth

Hegedus Gabor hegedus.gabor at euroway.hu
Wed Nov 26 13:09:09 CET 2008

Hi,

now imho cisco switches don't support mac based authentication with
freeRadius.

Have any solutions for my problem?:
i have server machines,  if  the power fails and returns,  this server
boot up, and  the server services continues(nobody log in).
I want 802.1x security on the network. I have a freeradius, and a cisco
switch.

My  ideas:
- freeradius get request (Host/pass + mac address) form server through
switch.  The fRadius use JUST mac address for authenticate this
machine(username not = MAC).

another idea:
- when server boot up send host/pass + mac, and in the freeRadius chech
hostname and pass and accept the request if equals. It is seems good but
i don't know the password.  what  password does the server send? nothing?
If i can set this password (once at all) it will be a good security.

I have no more ideas...