FreeRADIUS and EDUROAM timeout issues

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Oct 8 15:16:45 CEST 2008

Peter Eriksson wrote:
> The default setting seems to be less than optimal since if a remote site
> have problems with their home RADIUS servers then we risk having our
> local servers mark the upstream servers as "dead" since it's not
> receiving answers for a specific 'realm'...

  That's been a bit of a problem in RADIUS proxying.  The specification
says that serves MUST answer Access-Requests.  But some implementations
don't do that when they're proxying.  This causes all sorts of problems.

> Perhaps increase the 'response_window',
> and lower 'zombie_period' and 'revive_interval'
> and 'check_interval' values...

  If you're using "status-server", then "revive_interval" isn't used.

> Best would probably be if FreeRadius kept a
> separate timeout for each 'server/realm' tuple...

  Ugh.  That's adding complexity to work around bugs in other RADIUS
servers, IMHO.  Rather than keeping track of N realms && M home servers,
it now has to keep track of (N x M) combinations.  That's expensive.

  Still, if someone sends a patch, I'll look at it.