cisco vpn authentication, freeradius and best practices

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Oct 19 20:17:14 CEST 2008

Elizabeth Steinke wrote:
> I tested this rule with radtest (Making the necessary modifications  and
> it worked fine.
>
> DEFAULT Huntgroup-Name = "vpn-pix",Ldap-Group = "CN=somevpn...",
> Auth-Type := ntlm_auth_plaintext
> DEFAULT Huntgroup-Name = "vpn-pix",Ldap-Group != "CN=somevpn...",
> Auth-Type := Reject

  Then it's fine.

> Is it a good idea to force the auth-type in the users file? is there a
> cleaner way to do this?

  If it works... it's fine.

  The big rants about not forcing Auth-Type are because of the people
who force it without understanding the consequences... and then complain
when it doesn't work.

> While rewriting the rules file I am pairing accept and denies as above.
> Is that necessary or will it turn out to be horribly inefficient?

  It's good practice.  But doing all of those LDAP-Group queries can get
expensive.  i.e. you're doing *two* queries instead of one.

  You could fix this with "unlang":

	if (Huntgroup-Name == "vpn-pix") {
		if (LDAP-Group == ...) {
			update control {
				Auth-Type := ntlm_auth_plaintext
		else {
			reject

  Only one LDAP-Group check is more efficient.