Suse SLES 10SP2 with freeradius 2.x

Graham Marsh graham at netmarsh.com
Tue Oct 28 06:55:55 CET 2008

I am running FR 2.1.0 OK on SLES10SP1 against edir LDAP backend.

The way I did it, I installed the C/C++ Compiler and Tools in the Yast
patterned setup. This takes care of a number of dependencies. If you
don't want to do this, simply install the required deps later but
there will be quite a few of them.

Backup your /etc/raddb and uninstall your existing FR 1.x first. I
would suggest deleting /etc/raddb and do a clean slate install. As
long as you backed up your config you can refer to the old files.

Build using rpmbuild having first extracted the freeradius.spec from
the archive and placed in the SPECS folder as per the build
instructions on freeradius.org. Depending on the archive you are
using, you may need to modify the spec file a bit. Search the list for
freeradius.spec.

The build process should complete successfully. Any errors you need to
post here.

When you install the rpms you may need to install some dependencies -
using Yast you may need to check the "provides" checkbox if you are
searching for a .so file. As I recall (fuzzy memory).

Once installed you can run radiusd -X and you may need to chown some
of the files in /etc/raddb/certs, the debug output will tell you which
ones. Done, now you can modify those config files - especially
modules/ldap.