EAP-TTLS in WinXP

rgreiner mrgreiner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 01:01:03 CEST 2008

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,

>> I've seen that Windows XP does not support EAP-TTLS out of the box. I
>> know there is at least one package (from SecureW2) that adds this to
>> windows.
>>
>> Could somebody suggest me which other packages do the same? Or should I
>> use the one from SecureW2?
>>

> open1x.sf.net, Funk Odyssey, Cisco Supplicant (was Aegis Meetinghouse)
>

>> We intend to implement 802.1x Campus wide (or at least analyze it's
>> viability), but due to our policies we don't want open passwords in our
>> database, so PEAP (which uses MS-CHAP, as far as I did understand), is
>> not a viable option, despite being the only option native to WinXP.
>>

> errm, PEAP uses MSCHAPv2 which never passes the password - its a
> challenge response method - and the password, depending on which
> resource you use, doesnt need to be cleartext either. The other
> option native to WinXP for 802.1X is EAP-TLS
>
> alan

Ok, then I got something wrong. Is there any link where I could get more
details about ms-chapv2 inside PEAP, more exactly concerning this
details about password? As far as I knew, ms-chapv2 would always require
cleartext passwords in the database.

Tks,

Roberto

                Marcos Roberto Greiner

   Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
    Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                       Murphy