AW: Realm delimiter characters

Nemec Christopher Christopher.Nemec at lotterien.at
Tue Sep 2 10:17:41 CEST 2008

Hello Alan!

Here is the output of a sample RADIUS Request with the realm "host" as the prefix. It seems as if the rlm_realm is only looking for the "@" character as a delimiter. Below my output I have pasted the relevant content of the "/opt/etc/raddb/modules" file.

Listening on proxy address * port 1814
Ready to process requests.

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 172.24.110.198 port 1094, id=91, length=118
        User-Name = "host/habakuk"
        User-Password = "habakuk"
        NAS-IP-Address = 172.24.110.198
        NAS-Port = 1101
        NAS-Port-Type = Virtual
        Calling-Station-Id = "00-01-F4-6F-28-E0"
        Called-Station-Id = "00-01-F4-6F-28-E0"
        NAS-Port-Id = "host.0.1"
+- entering group authorize
++[preprocess] returns ok
++[chap] returns noop
++[mschap] returns noop
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "host/habakuk", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: Found realm "NULL"
    rlm_realm: Adding Stripped-User-Name = "host/habakuk"
    rlm_realm: Adding Realm = "NULL"
    rlm_realm: Authentication realm is LOCAL.
++[suffix] returns ok
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
++[eap] returns noop
++[unix] returns notfound

/opt/etc/raddb/modules:
# -*- text -*-
#
#  $Id: realm,v 1.1 2008/05/30 09:18:46 aland Exp $

# Realm module, for proxying.
#
#  You can have multiple instances of the realm module to
#  support multiple realm syntaxs at the same time.  The
#  search order is defined by the order that the modules are listed
#  in the authorize and preacct sections.
#
#  Four config options:
#       format         -  must be "prefix" or "suffix"
#                         The special cases of "DEFAULT"
#                         and "NULL" are allowed, too.
#       delimiter      -  must be a single character

#  'realm/username'
#
#  Using this entry, IPASS users have their realm set to "IPASS".
realm IPASS {
        format = prefix
        delimiter = "/"
}
realm prefix {
        format = prefix
        delimiter = "/"
}
#  'username at realm'
#
realm suffix {
        format = suffix
        delimiter = "@"
}

#  'username%realm'
#
realm realmpercent {
        format = suffix
        delimiter = "%"
}

#
#  'domain\user'
#
realm ntdomain {
        format = prefix
        delimiter = "\\"
}

The corresponding configuration in the "/opt/etc/raddb/proxy.conf" file is the following:

realm host {
        auth_pool = ias_failover
}

The auth_pool is configured properly and I have succesfully tested an authentication. Why is freeradius not searching for the "/" character as a delimiter? Any idea?