Freeradius not always denying invalid users

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Sep 3 17:05:54 CEST 2008

Chris Moss wrote:
> Here is an example of a user who is turned off. This shows the invalid
> shell where it pulls out part of the passwd entry of another user. Note
> the username in this is all the same user.
>
> Wed Sep  3 08:33:34 2008 : Auth: rlm_unix: [username]: invalid password

  The server just does system calls to get the password from
/etc/passwd.  If that says the user's password is incorrect, it's
incorrect.  No amount of poking the server will change that.

> Wed Sep  3 08:33:48 2008 : Auth: rlm_unix: [username]: invalid shell
> [*one Oak United Methodist:/home/loumc:/bin/false*

  The server just does a system call to get the user's shell, and
validate that against the list of valid shells.  If that says the shell
is invalid, there's little the server can do.

  i.e. the server is relying on the OS and libraries to get  information
from the password file.  "one Oak United.." is obviously not the correct
user shell.  So I'd say there's something wrong with your local system.

  *Unless*, of course you're using an old version of the server, and
have configured it to read /etc/passwd itself.  This isn't recommended
even in old versions of the server.  So... don't enable caching in the
"unix" module.