Date and Time based authorization ???

Kirk Wallace kwallace at wallacecompany.com
Thu Sep 4 17:10:16 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 01:35 -0500, Marcelo Freitas wrote:
> Thanks Kirk for the response ...
>
> I was asking because I didn't know about Login-Time and that solves my
> problem ...
>
> But I didn't understanding your solution ... Checking for holidays would
> be nice ...
> but how would I implement that ? how would this script be called at the
> arrival of the request's packet ?
>
> Thanks again,

I've used "date" in some of my scripts to deal with time related issues.
The more I think about it, using a script to change radius' behavior
might be a kluge at best. Working within radius, as Alan's suggestion
does, is the way to go. My comments here will be more for me to explore
what I don't know, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

In a general sense, what sorts of things do you want to do? Do you want
to keep people from logging in at certain times, change only billing
rates or limit traffic rates? I mainly used Radius to monitor the amount
of traffic from each user because I am thinking about going to metered
accounts, but I think radius is mainly a means to manage logins. I am
guessing it may not be the most appropriate thing for much else. I'm
looking forward to comments that shed light on the best uses for radius.

Kirk