freeradius version 1.0.x Vs 2.x.x

Abraham Jacob abrahamj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 17:33:57 CEST 2008

Hi,

  I have been using freeradius 1.0.5 for captive portal authentication
in our internal network. I use mysql as backend for radius and using
sqlcounter to check monthly usage.

I was trying out freeradius version 2.1.0 and found out that check
attribute values from radcheck table being replaced by values from
radgroupcheck. For example, sqlcounter is using Session-Timeout =
28800 if I use freeradius version 1.0.5 and Session-Timeout = 14400 if
I use  version 2.1.0.

Debug from 1.0.5:
rlm_sqlcounter: Authorized user test, check_item=28800, counter=509
rlm_sqlcounter: Sent Reply-Item for user test, Type=Session-Timeout, value=28291
  modcall[authorize]: module "noresetcounter" returns ok for request 2
modcall: leaving group authorize (returns ok) for request 2

Debug from 2.1.0:
rlm_sqlcounter: Authorized user test, check_item=14400, counter=509
rlm_sqlcounter: Sent Reply-Item for user akj, Type=Session-Timeout, value=13891
++[noresetcounter] returns ok

radcheck table:
+----+----------+--------------------+------------------------------------+----+
| id | username | attribute          | value                              | op |
+----+----------+--------------------+------------------------------------+----+
|  7 | test     | Crypt-Password     |
$1$WXkDxOPI$hZadd2xez2Xl7k4asVqOG. | := |
|  9 | test     | Session-Timeout    | 28800
   | := |
+----+----------+--------------------+------------------------------------+----+

radgroupcheck table:
+----+-----------+----------------------+-------+----+
| id | groupname | attribute            | Value | op |
+----+-----------+----------------------+-------+----+
|  1 | test      | Session-Timeout      | 14400 | := |
+----+-----------+----------------------+-------+----+

radusergroup table:
+----------+-----------+----------+
| username | groupname | priority |
+----------+-----------+----------+
| test      | test      |        1 |
+----------+-----------+----------+

sqlcounter:
sqlcounter noresetcounter {
    counter-name = sess_timeout
    check-name = Session-Timeout
    reply-name = Session-Timeout
    sqlmod-inst = sql
    key = User-Name
    reset = never
    query = "SELECT SUM(AcctSessionTime) FROM radacct WHERE UserName='%{%k}'"
}

I have tested this with version 2.0.5 and got same result. Is this the
expected behavior in version 2.x.x?

Thanks,
Abraham