another 2.1.0 compile error

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 21:24:43 CEST 2008

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 19:43 +0100, John Horne wrote:
>

>> Does something a bit more generic like 'yum list *td*' show you a list
>> of installed and available packages? It works for me on CentOS 5.2,
>>

> AAAUGH! I got it figured out. I was in the freeradius-server directory
> when I tried this, so it turns out that "libtool*" and "*tdl*" actually
> match directory names, so bash wasn't passing the wildcard to yum.
Wildcards passed to commands must always be quoted or escaped otherwise
the shell will process it. Yum info is a classic case of needing to do this.
>  Maybe
> csh wasn't so wrong to always assume an unquoted wildcard meant you were
> file globbing. Cost me a couple hours of wasted time (not to mention
> looking like a moron on the list :-)
Nah! We've all done things like this more times than we care to admit.
Welcome to the club, your turn to bring refreshments next time :-)

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>