Authentication using postfix user password

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 16 16:20:35 CEST 2008

Tanya Muluw wrote:
> Since most users of our organization have mail account in our postfix
> mail server, I tried to use postfix user password that stored in mysql
> for authentication.  Therefore there will be two types of user, i.e
> users with postfix user password (encrypted password)

  That's the key.

> I inserted a user in radcheck with cleartext password, and a user from
> postfix mysql mailbox table. So my radcheck is :
>
> +-----+----------+---------------+----+------------------------------------+
> | id  | username | attribute     | op | value                              |
> +-----+----------+---------------+----+------------------------------------+
> | 223 | testman  | User-Password | := | 123456                             |
> | 225 | testman1 | User-Password | := | $1$bbf49e0f$MAcN54vB4L0wcKuYOCnQv/ |

  Some changes:

testman - use "Cleartext-Password", not "User-Password"
testman1 - use "Crypt-Password", not "User-Password"

> Test for user with postfix user password was unsuccessful

  Because it was comparing "123456" to the "$1$..." string.  They're not
the same.

  The server needs to encrypt "12345" and then compare the encrypted
string to "$1$...".  Using "Crypt-Password" tells the server to do this.