radiusd dead but pid file exists

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 17 23:14:56 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 11:44 -0600, Charlie B wrote:
> Thanks Allan,
>
> I appreciate it, unfortunately no update to openssl to see if that
> rectifies the issue, just implemented monit  to ensure service is
> always running.

I've seen the same issue, with the server segfaulting. But it happens to
other processes as well, and the otpd back end used by freeradius to
authenticate one-time password tokens dies far more often than radiusd
does. I've also occasionally seen segfaults for sshd and stunnel. There
is actually a CentOS bug report open on this at:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2241

I don't know if this is the same issue as in Fedora 9, but I've seen it
in CentOS 5 and it's been reported in RHEL 5 too (not surprisingly).

Unfortunately, there is no known fix for this problem, so I did pretty
much the same thing as you did and wrote a monitoring script to make
sure everything that's supposed to be running is there.

--Greg