2.1.1 has been released

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 23:53:42 CEST 2008

Charlie B wrote:
> Actually for Fedora/Redhat and yes it would contain radtest and now
> upgraded to radmin but I'm looking for the package, I looked to build
> the rpm from freeradius-server-2.1.1.tar.gz but was unable to for the
> utils, so thought I would ask to see were I could grab them
Fedora has built and released the new 2.1.1 version of FreeRADIUS
(available the same day it was released by the FreeRADIUS project). It
is available in the development (aka rawhide) repository or it may be
downloaded via the Koji build system, http://koji.fedoraproject.org
(enter freeradius in the packages search box to locate all builds)

With regard to the new radmin utility, it is in the main freeradius
package, not freeradius-utils.

The new 2.1.1 has had only very cursory testing in Fedora, I encourage
Fedora users to exercise the package and report any Fedora specific
problems at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&component=freeradius

Alan Buxey: The reason why freeradius is split into sub-packages is to
accommodate users who want a minimal install which does not pull in
other packages to satisfy dependencies. The installer automatically
detects the dependencies of any rpm it installs and recursively installs
every dependency. For example we build FreeRADIUS with support for
mysql, postgresql and ldap but as a user you might not use any of these
backends. In this case where a user just wants to install freeradius
they will get cranky if it requires them to install large database
packages they never intend to use. Thus by having fine grained
subpackages you can electively install the freeradius-mysql subpackage
if you want to use freeradius with MySQL and the only database server
the installer will add is mysql, you won't be forced to install
postgress or ldap, etc. Think of this as the equivalent of the configure
script with-* command line options used during building, but applied at
installation time.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>