ippool management and cluster

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Sep 26 22:01:04 CEST 2008

Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
>>   I'm not sure *any* RADIUS server has this functionality.  It's usually
>> done as part of the database replication, etc.
>
> Why enabling replication? Isn't it possible to have one centralized
> database for all radius server?

  You really don't want that.  RADIUS servers use much less CPU time,
memory, and disk space than SQL servers.  So that design is exactly
backwards from what you will need.

>>   The queries can also be edited to be *different* on each server.  i.e.
>> order forward by IP on one server, and the reverse on another server.
>> If the databases are in an SQL cluster, this will minimize the
>> possibility of problems.
>>
> I think you missunderstood me. When I talk about cluster, i mean a farm
> of radius servers reply to several NASes.

  I was talking about SQL clusters for fail-over and redundancy.  Why
would you run multiple RADIUS servers for redundancy, and then only one
SQL server?  That's pointless.

  So you need multiple SQL servers.  Which have to talk to each other.
And do SQL replication.  And there will be replication delays for IP
pool information.  So the IP pools will be out of sync...

  There's a reason not many people do this.  It's *hard* to get right.