1.1.7 with CHAP and Mysql

Benjamin Marvin benjinm at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:38:41 CEST 2009

Good day,I inherited a system running two Freeradius 1.1.7 servers with CHAP and Mysql. They run seemingly fine, but I am trying to add a third (and a fourth eventually, planning to use the fourth as a testbed for a newer Freeradius version). So I installed Mysql and Freeradius 1.1.7. The Mysql database is replicated from the existing servers.  I tried to configure FreeRadius from scratch and finally tried copying the config files from a working machine. In both cases I've received the error:
   rlm_chap: Could not find clear text password for user testuser at mydomain.com
It's clear in the preceding Debug lines that SQL is being called and that the proper select statements are being run.  In fact, up until this point in the debug the debug looks exactly the same as a debug on my working servers.  When I run the select statements manually, the output is identical to the results of the working servers.
As I mentioned, the Debug for the working servers deviate only at this point, and on the working server the line reads:
   rlm_chap: Using clear text password "mypassword" for user testuser at mydomain.com authentication.

I'm fairly confident that Freeradius is interacting with the Mysql server because when I forward accounting to the server, the accounting is stored to the Mysql tables.
I was interested in seeing what the Freeradius server thinks the select queries are returning that it can't find a clear text password. I had thought maybe sqltrace = yes would enable me to see this, but this option appears to do nothing (in -X and -x and with no arguments. Also no sql appears in the radius.log file either).   Next I got the idea to use radtest with a non chap password to test.
radtest works just fine, calls the SQL and everything:
   rlm_pap: login attempt with password mypassword   rlm_pap: Using clear text password.   rlm_pap: User authenticated succesfully
Haven't gotten much sleep thanks to this, and I'm not sure where to go next. So thank you all in advance for any advice/recommendations.
-Benjamin Marvin