Trouble with Robust Proxy Accounting

JDL JDL at ImagineNet.net
Thu Apr 9 22:35:57 CEST 2009

Hello List,

I am attempting to address some issues I have had it setting up proxy
accounting using the robust-proxy-accounting example.

Just a short background. I used radrelay for years for this very
purpose. During a maintenance period or other outage, FreeRADIUS (1.x)
would spool all of the accounting data to a single detail file. Once the
remote accounting server was accessible, radrelay would then "grab" the
file and send all of the data to the accounting server. On occasion, we
could have days worth of accounting data that would have to be relayed,
but it all seemed to work properly.

In FreeRADIUS 2.x, the radrelay functions have been built into radiusd.
However, I seem to be having problems with data loss. Everything works
fine when the remote accounting server is up. However, when it goes
down, here is what I am seeing.

1) Remote accounting server is shutdown (as a test).

2) Radiusd begins to spool accounting data to the defined detail file
(i.e. detail-20090409).

3) Radiusd starts to read the detail file (i.e. the "detail.work" is
created).

4) Here is where is gets confusing. It almost seems like radiusd goes
into some sort of loop. After a short period (less than a minute), all
of the files are deleted from the "listen" directory and radiusd goes
into a hyper polling mode (see the bottom of the attached debug file).
This is very different from the normal polling mode which occurs at
appoximatly 1 second intervals.

All this does not seem to crash the server, however, the accounting data
does appear to be lost which is my greatest concern in this e-mail.

If anyone sees any problems with my configuration or needs any further
information, please let me know. I am currently using FreeRADIUS 2.1.4.

Thanks,

Jim L.