Help for radius configuration

Basant Agarwal basant.mnit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:06:52 CEST 2009

Hello ,  I want to install freeradius server for the authentic wifi users ,
whose database is stored in ldap server ..Users who will use the wifi are
mostly windows xp /vista users.

what i have tried:
(1) Install openssl by apt-get install command ... (Also By the source code
by the commands ./configure make make make install)
(2) installed freeradius-1.1.7
    ./configure
    make
    make install
(3) used default configuration and added  one entry in the users file ..

(Also tried for installing with apt-get install freeradius freeradius-ldap
freeradius-eappeap .. )
It worked well with radtest from localhost .. But when i try from laptop
..it does not work ..

After That i tried to configure eap type peap since i came to know that
windows xp /vista support EAP/PEAP for wifi authentication .
with this configuration also radtest works well ...but from laptop it does
not work

(4) I receive the following request from AP

Message-Authenticator = 0x3f459af06e42a2a0b7cf9c1d80092e31
    Service-Type = Framed-User
    User-Name = "testap"
    Framed-MTU = 1488
    Called-Station-Id = "00-15-E9-C9-F3-80:MNIT-DC-AP"
    Calling-Station-Id = "00-16-6F-7C-DB-2D"
    NAS-Identifier = "D-link Corp. Access Point"
    NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11
    Connect-Info = "CONNECT 54Mbps 802.11g"
    EAP-Message = 0x0200000b01746573746170
    NAS-IP-Address = 172.16.1.80
    NAS-Port = 1
    NAS-Port-Id = "STA port # 1"

I want to ask you that how radius server with get authentic the user since
it is not getting user password  or hashed password ..??

(4) I have tried all the above process for the freearadius-2.1.4 also ,
     (When i try to install freeradius-2.1.4  it does not include eap/peap
even i have installed openssl previously ... No problem with
freeradius-1.1.7)

 I have tried  all installation  on debian/ubuntu/deepofix.

I want to ask .. Is this compulsory to configure EAP/PEAP since our end
users would have windows xp/ vista ..??
what will be basic configuration ..??

I am sorry .. i am not posting any debug output here .. reason is -- i have
been posted those already ,  got solutions for that but still i am not
getting things working.. probably i got things wrong hence i am posting all
things which i need ..
Please give your views on what i have understood wrong ..!! and what should
i do ..??
Please provide me the steps for this scenario ...!!!