rlm_perl behavior

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Apr 16 21:07:54 CEST 2009

Borislav Dimitrov wrote:
> Sacrificing the *_clones flexibility for lower memory footprint, better
> performance and more importantly code is certainly worth doing it, if
> people are still able to have multiple rlm_perl instances.

  If we update the module to have one Perl thread per system thread, it
will still have the clone functionality.

> I imagine
> that probably the best way will be to have X (the number of rlm_perl
> instances) per system thread - this is the way it'd be if they were
> different modules (like sql, preprocess etc) which custom Perl scripts
> executing under rlm_perl a kind of are...
> For now I downgraded to 2.0.5 which works perfect for me but will be
> happy to help with testing (on some client's production system... don't
> tell anyone ;-) ).

  Or, grab the rlm_perl source from 2.1.x, and use it in the latest
version.  I don't think that there are any incompatibilities.

> OFFTOPIC:
> Btw, do you know of some existing effort to develop rlm_ruby? What's its
> state etc? I had the ambition to develop something like that myself but
> don't have the time anymore :-(.

http://github.com/Antti/rlm_ruby/tree/master

  If he can fork the git tree, and add the rlm_ruby module to it, I can
pull the changes into the main server.