failover and load balancing

Uwe Kastens kiste at kiste.org
Wed Apr 22 15:43:32 CEST 2009

Michael,

>>> supposedly a PostgreSQL master-master replication package
>> I think there might be much more read access then write access by using
>> a DB backend for RADIUS. If so it might be enough to have one master to
>> write and many slaves to read from. Or many master with a kind of sql
>> proxy like Sequoia or mysql-proxy. The problem with master master for
>> mysql is, that you have to resync each time you are dropping a table, a
>> view etc.pp.
>>
>> BR
>>
>> uwe
>

> It depends on what you are doing. If you want to read out you user database
> for authentication you are right. But If you want to write accouting you have
> a lot of writes. I have seen up to 300 writes/sec for a small national
> provider.

Ok. That is true. In that case you are talking about loosing money if
the database is offline. But that is not an application issue, therefore
you will need a real database cluster. And I am not talking about oracle
RAC :-)

I would prefer to have some fallback solution to write data to a flat
file if the database is offline (which should be a question of minutes
or an hour)  and import it later on. Or try to find out, how much
performance sqltrace option in freeradius will cost.

BR

Uwe

--

kiste lat: 54.322684, lon: 10.13586