%RADIUS-4-RADIUS_ALIVE | %RADIUS-4-RADIUS_DEAD help

Borislav Dimitrov b.dimitrov at ngsystems.net
Mon Apr 27 10:50:16 CEST 2009

Why do you think that the process is stopped? It's probably sleeping
which is its normal state if you're looking at the `ps`s output.
About the thread pool, check the documentation. Anyways, here's what
it looks like:
# THREAD POOL CONFIGURATION
thread pool {
	start_servers = 1
	max_servers = 1
	min_spare_servers = 1
	max_spare_servers = 1
	max_requests_per_server = 0
}
Configure there according to the expected load.
rlm_perl (if you're using it at all) has options for configuring the
number of Perl interpreters also but they are to be deprecated since
2.1.5 so don't use them:
# MODULE CONFIGURATION
modules {
         perl {
         module = /Users/everlast/development/blah.pl
                 func_accounting = accounting
		max_clones		= 1
		start_clones  		= 1
		min_spare_clones	= 0
		max_spare_clones	= 1
		cleanup_delay		= 5
		max_requests_per_clone	= 0
As you can see, it's similar to Apache's thread pool settings. Put
higher numbers in the thread pool section (check the defaults in the
docs also) and start FreeRADIUS without -X (debug mode) but just like
that: radiusd &
If your setup requires loading a lot of setting (from  a DB or
something) on start-up setup things so that the started number of
threads is static (like in the example) - so that it doesn't start/
stop threads depending on the load because this (loading a huge
configuration/user data database on start up) can cripple things up.