LDAP bind as user

Mark Saner msaner at hustlerturf.com
Wed Aug 5 14:30:45 CEST 2009

I'm using freeradius 2.0.4 for eap-peap authentication with LDAP as my
back end. Everything is working great (thanks to help from this mailing
list). However I was wondering if there is a way to get RADIUS to bind
to LDAP as the user that is trying to authenticate rather than the LDAP
admin account. I recall reading somewhere that it is not recommended to
do this but I can't remember where and I am not finding it as I search
this morning.

Is it possible to bind to the LDAP database as the user trying to
authenticate? If so how? If not or if it isn't desirable what
suggestions do you have for a more secure way of binding to the LDAP server?

--
Mark Saner