Using encrypted passwords from LDAP

Steffen Langhammer langhammer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:30:18 CEST 2009

Dear all,

first of all:
The LDAP-Server doesn't contain a clear-text password. They are encrypted
and this isn't allowed to change.
The password field is "userPassword".

I was testing my LDAP-Configuration in Freeradius with NTRadPing.
If I make an authentication Request I get a response: Access_accept.
I am happy that freeradius can speak to LDAP :-))

Now my problem is:
The wireless client is configured to LEAP, I enter the same user and
password as in NTRadPing Utility. But I don't get access.

I don't understand what I have done wrong.
Maybee the eap-module is not able to forward the bind to the LDAP-Server ?

If i use LEAP and set the password_attribute to an cleartext field in ldap
it works.
I was setting as password_attribute the field to givenname and enter as
passwort the givenname of user.

If I use the LEAP mode on the client the login to WLAN works fine (by using
cleartext)
But I have to use the encrypted password in LDAP because of security
reasons.

What can I do ?