FreeRADIUS 2.1 proxy error "Inconsistent shared secret for home server"

Adam Bultman abultman at mtasolutions.com
Tue Aug 18 21:59:59 CEST 2009

Good morning, everybody.

I am setting up a new proxy realm inside proxy.conf.

I have an existing proxy realm like this:

realm proxydomain.com {
        type            = radius
        authhost        = x.x.x.x:1812
        accthost        = x.x.x.x:1813
        secret          = sharedsecret
        nostrip
}

I am trying to set up a new proxy realm, which is a different domain
name, but uses the same authhost and accthost, but a new shared secret:

realm anotherproxydomain.net {
        type            = radius
        authhost        = x.x.x.x:1812
        accthost        = x.x.x.x:1813
        secret          = differentsharedsecret
        nostrip
}

FreeRADIUS is giving me "Inconsistent shared secret for home server
x.x.x.x".

The authhost and accthost are reached via a VPN, and they are a
"clearing house" of sorts - they proxy authentication and accounting for
multiple companies (not just the one I'm worrying about).

I've checked the FAQ and wiki, and haven't had any luck. I've googled
for the error, and the hits I get related to source code files, which
don't help. I've also looked in the freeradius docs that come with the
binaries/source, etc.

Is it not possible to have unique shared secrets for unique realms,
proxied to the same auth and acct hosts?

Thanks,

Adam