Some users getting duplicate "NULL" acctstoptime records in radacct

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Thu Aug 20 17:55:58 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 08:55 +0200, Alan DeKok wrote:
> >. ...  So, effectively, freeradius shows TWO live sessions for
> > the same user.  When we check the NASes, we see two sessions for the
> > same user there as well.
>
>   Then the user has logged in twice.  There really ARE two sessions.

Ok, fair enough.  But, I've set up freeradius to not allow more than one
session.  How is a new row being added to radacct when the first one for
the same user still has "acctstoptime" as NULL?  I thought the sql
queries were designed to stop that when using simultaneous checks, which
I have set to 1.

At worst, I expected the user to be denied access if, for example, the
DB wasn't cleaned up after a NAS power loss, or after some event at the
customer end.

>   Except for those people who log in twice.
>
>   If the NAS shows that they have two sessions, then they have two sessions.

I still don't understand how two live records for the same user can
exist in radacct.  The first live row should result in an access reject
being generated by freeradius.  I think something is wrong with my sql
setup.  I just don't know what it could be after pouring over
everything.  What could I be missing?

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.27.29-170.2.78.fc10.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux