How to handle multiple NAS's, auth requirements, etc.

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Fri Aug 21 17:52:44 CEST 2009

> Hello, so for the BASIC question!  First, is there any docs that explain
> the concepts of how all the various pieces of FR tie together?

Read the debug - it will tell you what server does when it starts and when
it processes the request.

> We have various environments that need to authenticate and authorize
> using FR:  VPN connections with something like (if member of "VPNGroup"
> then permit, else deny); vty login to network gear with (if member of
> "NetEngGroup" then permit, else deny); and 802.1x with dynamic VLAN
> assignment.  I plan to use ntlm_auth for all of these to hit AD on the
> backend.
>
> The problem I'm having is grasping how I can do this?  Do I need
> separate instances of FR?

No.

> A bunch of  "if then/else" clauses somewhere?

Yes, see man unlang. Configure AD in ldap module and use Ldap-Group to
test membership.

> How does FR know what type of auth is required?

If you configure ntlm_auth statement in mschap module it will use it. Read
AD integration guide:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/active_directory.html

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP