Proxying accounting to create a 'tee'

John Morrissey jwm at horde.net
Mon Aug 24 17:46:36 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 01:59:00AM +0100, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:

> On 21/08/2009 21:15, John Morrissey wrote:
> >>
> >>   So... configure the server to respond.  See the file
> >> raddb/sites-available/decoupled-accounting
> >
> > Is decoupled-accounting (writing all detail to disk and replaying it
> > serialized with a detail listener) the only way to configure FreeRADIUS to
> > respond to the NAS?
>
> Yes. Otherwise it'll wait for the response from the proxy server, and
> proxy the Accounting-Response from the proxy server back to the NAS. It's
> the only way the NAS could be sure the remote server received the
> Accounting-Request.

Right. I was hoping there was a way for robust-proxy-accounting to respond
to the NAS when the proxy isn't responding, since the accounting request has
been "successfully" processed (i.e., written to the detail log and saved for
later proxying).

> > I'm adapting robust-proxy-accounting for our environment and can't
> > figure out how (or if it's possible) to get FreeRADIUS to respond to the
> > originating NAS when proxying fails and the detail is logged for later
> > proxying.
>
> Yep that's a good idea if the data is time critical, it also allows
> multiple requests to be forwarded in parallel.

nod, this is my preference. Unfortunately (as I mentioned above), I haven't
been able to figure out if/how it's possible to have FreeRADIUS always
respond to the NAS, even when the proxy isn't responding and accounting is
spooled to the detail file for later processing.

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o
jwm at horde.net        _-< \_          /  \       ----  <  \,