Error: "user supplied User-Password does NOT match local User-Password" even though they do.

Rens Houben shadur at systemec.nl
Fri Aug 28 11:58:40 CEST 2009

Hello,

I've been using FreeRadius for quite some time now, but after a recent
update (to 2.0.4, debian lenny variant) all users in a certain group
have stopped authenticating properly, with the above error -- even
though as far as I can tell the password transmitted (and logged) is
identical to the one in the database.

I've attached a sample of the logfile, with names and passwords slightly
edited but otherwise accurate:

I've tried everything I could think of, including deleting the user and
entering the data anew by hand, but the error persists.

Any suggestions to dig further and help me find what I may have missed
would be welcome.

Regards,

--
Rens Houben <shadur at systemec.nl>